Monday, March 11, 2013

Fight Club (1999)



From the first time that I saw Fight Club I knew that this would be one of my favourite films for life, even though there is a lot of gut retching fighting; underneath it all is a darker, deeper and yet thrilling story.
Throughout we learn about the characters through a Narrator (Edward Norton), the main character, but we never find out his actual name, until the highly anticipated climax. To me he seems to always have a problem with his sexuality, the only woman within the film, Marla (Helena Bonham Carter) is more masculine then he is. The Narrator goes to support groups, needs to be loved and supported by others, and overall is frightened and threatened by Marla. Unlike his newly met friend Tyler (Brad Pitt) who he seems to be very close with, for example in the conversations that they have where they compare themselves to other men.  With the help of Tyler the Narrator tries to escape reality by co-creating an illegal underground fight club, which he subconsciously turns into an army.
Overall I love this film because of the use of the camera, especially the angles that they use and the mise-en-scene; every time you watch this you understand it more and see that it gives the story away from an early stage in the film. I also enjoy the fact that it is showing us what consumerism does to us, how we think that we have to buy the IKEA objects to be able to fit into society. It reminded me a lot like Clockwork Orange from the 70s, how the main character within the film is ‘brain washed’ to behave ‘correctly’ within society. Lastly I thought Edward Norton and Brad Pitt’s performance was and probably and will be the best they will ever achieve, excellent.
In my opinion I cannot find any negatives with this film, defiantly a must see!

No comments:

Post a Comment